“Preschool near me” search might help you find a preschool near you but to find one best preschool could be a daunting task. You will find lists of preschools with Montessori methods of teaching to ones having fancy VR gadgets. There are preschools in Bangalore and other cities offering CCTV live coverage of child’s classroom right on your mobile through an app.
This post is intended to help you guide and find the best option for you. The first question that you need ask yourself is “What is the importance of preschool education?” and as you think on it, you can read the guidelines below.
Choosing a right preschool/kindergarten, baby care or creche (daycare) is one of the most important decisions for every parent. As you search for a list of preschools in your city and try to figure out top 10 preschools, it is important to imagine that the preschool/kindergarten becomes a second home. The child will be spending a considerable amount of time there. Thus, the child deserves fun, care and love integrated with the lessons.
If you are pondering on questions like “how to choose a play school, or which are the best preschools in India” or looking for a preschool checklist, here are few important pointers.
Today there are hundreds of Preschool/kindergarten in India, both national and international, operating in different business models. Also, there are ones owned by passionate edupreneurs at their own home or a commercial establishment.
With evolving Education paradigm, advancement in technology and competitive environment, it is crucial that we decide wisely and give a deep thought before finalizing one for your child. Finding a list of preschool, best or famous preschools in India won’t actually help. It is always recommended that you scout for few and finalize the best one.
Here is a checklist to choose a preschool, which if properly used, can help you in choosing the preschool for your child:
- The Brand: Be it a Kidzee Preschool, Euro Kids, Bachpan, Shemford, Kangaroo Kids or any other Montessori play school, it is important to dive into their vision and mission and a quick comparison with what the are ‘actually’ doing in their classrooms. Schedule an appointment with play schools and speak to the academic head or the principal to get an accurate idea of ‘what they do and how they do’
- Kindergarten Curriculum (Compare): Play schools aren’t just baby care centers. They are with a purpose to help our child gain cognitive and socio-emotional skills (SEL). They must have a curriculum and a child development plan. After your initial visit to the playschool that you had listed or are nearby, compare them and see which gives the maximum value to the child in terms of academics and non-academics.
- School Hygiene: This is often ignored. For instance, Ysgol Maes Y Mynydd school in the UK has a school hygiene policy. Most Indian schools lack any such intervention. Anyway the beautiful building infrastructure maybe clean, you must check the overall hygiene of the place, especially the washrooms. This is, in fact, the most important point you should consider while choosing a preschool. This is because if the preschool is not clean and tidy, there is a high chance of your child getting sick every other day. Thus ask the preschool about the hygiene measures taken up by them. Additionally, check the washrooms, the floor, water supply, disinfection of washrooms, hand wash facilities among others.
- Safety: Does the playschool have a surveillance system? Are the teacher trained? Chains like Kidzee have teacher training course. If it is a non-branded preschool chain, do their teachers have Montessori program certification? Ensure that the playschool is near your home so that you can rush in case of an emergency. Also, check the kind of toys and types of equipment that are installed in the classrooms – are they all child-friendly and are of standard quality? Ensure that there aren’t any sharp objects or something that is toxic. As a parent, you have all the right to question to ensure the safety of your child at school. Here is a piece of writing on ‘What Parents Can Do to Keep Kids Safe at School’
- Communication: How will the school communicate with the parents and vice-versa. Preschool in India generally have 3-4 hours of school time. However, in case the playschool is at a distance you might need to communicate more often especially during the start of the academic session. Enquire about the contact person and numbers. Also, give them alternative contact numbers which can be used in case your phone is not reachable. Many play school now have an app to communicate the child’s progress and work at school.
With the above checklist to choose a preschool, you should be able to narrow down to one which is the most suitable preschool for your child.
Do you think there are other aspects that are important to note? Do let us know using the comment box below and we will consider it after review and include it in out future editions of this article.
Schooling Matters helps parents with queries regarding preschools, if you have one write to us at email@example.com and we would be happy to help you.
Connect to us on Facebook for regular tips and support – https://www.facebook.com/schoolingmatters/